Re: [help-texinfo] Help with @ref

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Help with @ref
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:33:08 -0700

@ref{NODE, [ENTRY], [NODE-TITLE], [INFO-FILE], [MANUAL]}'

Thank you for trying to help. The nearest I can figure is that the > info
texinfo reference contains identical information as the pdf/html documents.
The issue remains that:
1: Descriptions of manual conventions are undefined.
2: Syntax of, e.g., arguments are undefined.
3: tag arguments are undefined.

In this case for the @ref tag none of NODE, ENTRY, NOD-TITLE, INFOR-FILE, or
MANUAL are undefined, nor is the meaning of [...]. The statement that 'it
should be clear ...'. has as much meaning as 'it is left as an exercise to
the student ...', to wit, I am not a student and the manual should be
descriptive to avoid the reader searching through the book for relevant
descriptive material.

In this case, what is the syntax of node, e.g., are blanks or special
characters allowed. What does node represent, e.g., is it a @node, @anchor,
@anything.

In lieu of having the information at hand I actually guessed at what 'node'
meant. To my surprise, I guessed correctly, and I found that spaces where
allowed without the requirement for text brackets. I have no idea of how I
could have extracted this information from the manual.

What is the purpose of a manual? My own feeling is that its purpose is to
provide a description of the thing at hand, and that it succeeds or fails on
this basis. This manual has failed.

Thank you for your help. Thank you for spending time and effort in trying to
clarify the mysteries.

art