Re: [help-texinfo] Search full content of all info nodes similar to 'man

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Search full content of all info nodes similar to 'man -K '
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 11:00:03 +0100

On 25 July 2015 at 22:46, Michael Convey <address@hidden> wrote:
> The 'man -K term' command is an excellent way to the full text of all man
> pages for a given term. I'm trying to find a similar convention for
> searching the full text of all info nodes. Can this be done?

Not exactly. You can search in the *indices* for all Info files using
the index apropos feature, either with

$ info -k term

which spits out a list of matches.

Or run

$ info

followed by M-x index-apropos RET term RET

Note that the manual indices are just whatever the document author
decided to add, so you are relying on them having added a relevant
index entry.

Alternatively, you can use grep (the low-tech solution):

for f in /usr/share/info/*info*gz ; do echo ============ $f
============ ; gzip -cd $f | grep foo ; done