Re: [help-texinfo] Search full content of all info nodes similar to 'man

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Search full content of all info nodes similar to 'man -K '
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 23:59:56 +0100

On 31 July 2015 at 18:11, Michael Convey <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Full-text search for all Info files has been in the to-do list for a
>> long time. I have some idea how it could be implemented, for example
>> by going down a node's menu entries recursively, starting at (dir).
>> Whether I'm motivated to work on it depends on how useful it is likely
>> to be. I've never missed it myself.
>

> For experienced users, who likely know where to look, such a tool is less
> useful. However, for the less-experienced user, it is invaluable. Often, the
> man pages don't have the level of detail contained in the info nodes. For
> those of us who are learning, and don't know where to look, the lack of such
> a tool is a significant barrier due to dead ends and the resulting
> frustration.

I don't know if you are able to build and run from the latest version
in the development repository? I've got a first implementation of a
sub-tree search working, which you can use from the top "dir" node to
search all listed files.

M-/ to give a search string
M-} for next match
M-{ for previous match

If in a subtree under the node where the search is rooted, you are
getting a lot of matches you aren't interested in, you can go back up
with "l" (ell) to the node where you want to start again, and type M-}
again.

This can also be used to search only part of a manual.

This is not a final version of the code, just what I've managed to do
so far. Feedback is welcomed on how to make this feature more
intuitive, reliable or useful.