Re: [help-texinfo] Standalone info as a generic info processor?

From: Alejandro Sanchez
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Standalone info as a generic info processor?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 18:08:16 +0100

> On 07 Nov 2016, at 16:22, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Alejandro Sanchez <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 11:57:43 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> My goal is to reach feature-parity with standalone info. The features don’t
>> have to be accessible in the same way (e.g. Space and Backspace for
>> scrolling), but users should have an equivalent analog for each one.
>
> If the key bindings are significantly different, the info.info manual
> will no longer be accurate enough, and Vim users will have no manual
> to learn how to use Info.
I know, but the info key bindings don’t make sense in Vim culture; for
instance, in Vim you use C-D and C-U to scroll up and down half a screen, so
using space and backspace is unnecessary and might break bindings the user has
already set up. I will provide a manual for info.vim of course and everything
will have a corresponding analog, so if you know how to use standalone or Emacs
info you’ll be up and running in no time. I just want to get the plugin working
before I write a manual. There is already the readme, a reference manual for
the plugin (in Vim’s native format) and there will be an info tutorial in info
format that user will be able to get to with the `:InfoTutor` command.