[help-texinfo] Texinfo <-> roff?

From: James Youngman
Subject: [help-texinfo] Texinfo <-> roff?
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 23:25:56 +0000

I maintain a substantial Texinfo manual and, in parallel, a substantial roff manual page.

The documentation of the command-line options is lengthy and maintaining this in two places is burdensome.  I don't want to abandon either documentation type (as an output at least) but I'd prefer to reduce the duplicate effort.

An obvious solution to this is to keep the overall structure of the two documents as-is, but to document the command-line options in just one place, and perform some kind of conversion.  For example I could cope with mastering documentation about command-line options in Texinfo and generating nroff (which I would concatenate into a manpage) or documenting the options in nroff and using that to generate part of the reference section of my Texinfo manual.

Based on https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ I see that there is a manpage -> Texinfo converter, and also that there is a Texinfo->roff converter.  The latter is more appealing (since the thing I'm documenting is GNU findutils, and GNU prefers Texinfo).   However, the link is broken (http://texinfo.org/texi2roff/ redirects to www3.texinfo.org, which domain is apparently for sale and contains no useful content).    Does anybody have a concrete suggestion as to how to proceed?   Is there, for example, an nroff configuration for texi2any that wasn't mentioned?

Mastering in Docbook and generating both nroff and Texinfo might also be feasible, but I'm not sure if that works well for just part of a document (and I'm reluctant to entirely demote Texinfo to only an output format for my documentation).

Thanks,
James.