[help-texinfo] Footnote label in text is not small in PDF output

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [help-texinfo] Footnote label in text is not small in PDF output
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:45:11 +0100

Dear Texinfo maintainers,

The manual of GNU Astronomy Utilities (Gnuastro) is in Texinfo and I am very grateful for this wonderful tool, it is instrumental to Gnuastro (the manual plays a major part in Gnuastro).

Today, I noticed that the footnote labels (numbers) in the body of the PDF text don't have a smaller font size. They are elevated, but not in a smaller font. You can see the PDF manual of the most recent version here, page 3 has the first footnote):

http://akhlaghi.org/gnuastro.pdf

It wasn't like this in the previous release of Gnuastro, here is its PDF output I built in September for the 0.4 release:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/gnuastro.pdf

This is the Makefile that manages the texinfo source:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/doc/Makefile.am

Gnuastro imports many source files (including `texinfo.tex') from Gnulib and I keep it up to date. You can see the tarball (that contains this file, Gnulib's files are not version controlled in Gnuastro) here:

http://akhlaghi.org/gnuastro-latest.tar.lz

On my system, the installed Texinfo is version 6.5.

I wanted to consult you on why this is happening? Is there a problem in the way Texinfo is managed in Gnuastro, or is this a bug in Texinfo?

Thank you very much,
Mohammad