Re: Displaying images for html output

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Displaying images for html output
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 01:09:26 +0100

> Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 12:46 AM
> From: "Patrice Dumas" <pertusus@free.fr>
> To: "Gavin Smith" <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com>
> Cc: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>, "help-texinfo gnu"
> <help-texinfo@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Displaying images for html output
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 05:20:00PM +0000, Gavin Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:11 PM Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:
> > > I think that if the path does not starts with . or .. or is an absolute
> > > path, it would make sense
> > > 1) to search in include directories (I think that the current directory
> > >   is always in front of of the search path)
> > > 2) to check if the directories and image file exist in the destination
> > >   directory and if not copy the file
> > >
> > > For point 2), there could be a customization variable to prevent the
> > > copy, that would be off in the default case, but can be turned on for
> > > the users who want backward compatibility or do something else by
> > > themselves, for instance use links.
> >
> > That sounds okay, as searching include directories matches what
> > happens with TeX. When you say "current directory" this should mean
> > the directory containing the Texinfo file, not the working directory
> > from which texi2any is run. (What to do when a file in a subdirectory
> > is @include'd and then references an image, I don't know.)

I got to handle that situation an a daily basis.  What I have found is
that the include file that references the image got to have a number of
Level Variables, so the texinfo can still get to the image.  I can share a
copy of the code so texinfo can get to the next level for complicated projects.
Shall we do it?  I have been pushing texinfo to the limit and the code would
certainly provide ideas so that texinfo could handle those instances adequately.

Regards
Christopher