Re: Transforming XML or other intermediate representation of Texinfo; c

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: Transforming XML or other intermediate representation of Texinfo; category system
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 20:37:11 -0800

Hi Pat, thanks for your message.

It doesn't look like the --ifsomething / --no-ifsomething options will
help. Essentially the problem is that the @ commands which are going
to end up as HTML need to be kept, without actually processing them
into HTML. The --ifhtml option wants to process them, but I want to
postpone that until a later pass.

Likewise with recovering macros from XML, essentially what I need to
do is generate some stuff (related to the categories referenced in the
.texi files) and append that to the original .texi, and then process
the whole thing with makeinfo --html. Ideally I'd like to tell
makeinfo, "don't do anything, just give me a representation of the
document for now." Is there a way to tell makeinfo to not expand
macros?

It seems like Texinfo isn't a good fit for the stuff I'm trying to do,
so I'll just leave the existing aggregation of scripts in place. But
it has been fun to think about, and maybe I learned a little bit in
the process.

best,

Robert Dodier