Re: Including files from parent dir

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Including files from parent dir
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 18:36:25 +0100

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:17:43PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 03:35:26PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Have you tried the -I <directory> option?
> >
> > I had not, but I just tried and that doesn't help: apparently when
> > the file starts with "." it's not searched along the list of include
> > directories but only relative to pwd (whereas I'd need it to look
> > relative to the includer's directory).
>
> When it starts with . ou .. it is not searched for in include
> directories, so indeed, it does not help.

The TeX engines do the same thing, apparently.  From the kpathsea manual:

> Exception to all of the above: If the filename being searched for
> is absolute or explicitly relative, i.e., starts with ‘/’ or
> ‘./’ or ‘../’, Kpathsea simply checks if that file exists,
> with a fallback to a casefolding match if needed and enabled, as
> described above.

https://tug.org/texinfohtml/kpathsea.html#Searching-overview

If we were to make this work, then texi2dvi would have to change the present
working directory before running TeX, but this is not compatible with the
implementation of --tidy where texi2dvi changes to a separate directory
to have all auxiliary output files output there.