Re: Customizing @var?

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: Customizing @var?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 22:18:31 -0700

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 2:07 AM Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 04:31:08PM -0700, Raymond Toy wrote:
> > Is it possible to customize what @var does (for info files) without
> > redefining @var?
> > Maxima redefines @var to
> >
> > @macro var {expr}
> > <\expr\>
> > @end macro
>
> This is not recommended, and could even be forbidden, in my opinion, to
> redefine existing Texinfo @-commands.

I wonder if you can be more precise about "could even be forbidden".
Do you mean to say it is allowed (with a warning) by the most recently
released version of Texinfo, but it might be disallowed in a future
version? If so, is there any definite plan about that? i.e., in what
future version is it anticipated that it will become disallowed.

Perhaps you intend it in a counterfactual sense; the choice could have
been made, but it wasn't. If so, it would help to know that, in order
to more accurately interpret your comment.

Thanks for any information,

Robert Dodier