Re: @defun and @defvr in the "same" block?

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: @defun and @defvr in the "same" block?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:17:16 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 08:40:43AM -0800, Raymond Toy wrote:
> I tried this out with my translated Scribe document for one entry.  The
> entry looks like
>
> @defun {check-region-query-size} {region}
> @defunx {Hemlock Variable} {Region Query Size} @val{30}@useindex{vr}
> description
> @end defun
>
> Other than having to use defunx for a variable, this works.  Region Query
> Size shows up in the vr index as expected.  And check-region-query-size is
> still in the fn index, as expected.
>
> It's a bit annoying that I have to use defunx for a variable, but the
> output looks nice, except that Region Query Size is marked as a Function as
> shown below.
>
> At least for my use case, @useindex helps, but other parts don't work out
> right because the pdf output still says Function instead of Variable.

You can do this using @deffn and @deffnx instead, at the expense of also
needing to specify "Function" on the first line:

@deffn  {Function}                     {check-region-query-size} {region}
@deffnx {@sansserif{Hemlock} Variable} @sansserif{Region Query Size} @
        {@r{(initial value @code{30})}} @useindex{vr}
description
@end deffn

(I used @sansserif to match the style of the original document although
this may not be what is desired.)

> Allowing defvarx after defun would work the best for my use case.
>
> I wouldn't worry about this though.  I have a reasonable workaround that is
> good enough for me.  Thanks for looking into it though!  I appreciate all
> of the work put into texinfo.

Generalising @def* has long been on the to-do list for Texinfo but we have
never been sure how to proceed.  It's good to have feedback from users
about what is useful.