Re: semantic newlines? Yes, I use that too.

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: semantic newlines? Yes, I use that too.
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 20:06:08 +0200

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Nutchanon Wetchasit wrote:
> > Of course,
> > if you desire to interact with the microcontroller
> > via serial communication,
> > you are free to connect the RS-232 @samp{SERAIL} (sic) connector
> > on the microcontroller board
> > to a serial port on the PC
> > with a null modem cable.@footnote{RS-232 null modem cable
> > is not included in the kit.}

Hmm. I find this source to be hard to read, due to the many line breaks.

Maybe a reasonable compromise is to force a newline after each sentence,
but not after each piece of sentence? It should still keep the diffs
small, since a sentence is typically much shorter than a paragraph.

> So, if you are aiming to use this technique on literature authoring
> in general, watch out for this. Making occasional looks over
> at the rendered version (bearing reasonable page width/column count)
> also helps keeping this in check.

For texinfo, this occasional look at the rendered version is necessary
anyway, in order to find where to place commands meant for esthetics
(such as @noindent or @*).

Bruno