Re: My problems on translating a texinfo document to chinese

From: Ralph Lin
Subject: Re: My problems on translating a texinfo document to chinese
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:40:24 +0800

在 2024-02-11星期日的 21:17 +0000,Gavin Smith写道:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 07:49:57PM +0000, Gavin Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 03:22:59PM +0800, Ralph Lin wrote:
> > > As you just said, I checked the texinfo source code, and the
> > > "txi-
> > > zh" and "texinfo-zh" do exist, but not for the texinfo v6.8
> > > that
> > > I'm currently using.
> > >
> > > I added those files into the documentation source;
> > >
> > > and I run the texi2any command with argument "--pdf", it
> > > complains
> > > about the lack of XeTeX.
> > >
> > > My machine has XeTeX installed alongside TeX Live, but I
> > > don't
> > > know how to set it up as the default TeX engine.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Can you try running "TEX=xetex texi2pdf your-manual.texi" or
> > "PDFTEX=xetex texi2pdf your-manual.texi"?
>
> Did you get it to work?
>
> I have added a new node to the manual, as it was not well
> documented
> before.  The current draft is below.  Please let us know if
> there is
> anything missing.
>
> 19 Printing Japanese and Chinese
> ********************************
>
> Texinfo comes with support files for processing input in the
> Japanese
> and Chinese languages.
>
>    For Japanese, you use the ‘texinfo-ja.tex’ file.  Your main
> input
> file should begin with a ‘\input texinfo-ja’ line, rather than
> the
> standard ‘\input texinfo’.  Use the UTF-8 character encoding as
> usual.
> You must process the files with either XeTeX or LuaTeX.
>
>    For Chinese, you use the ‘texinfo-zh.tex’ file.  Your main
> input file
> should begin with a ‘\input texinfo-zh’ line, rather than the
> standard
> ‘\input texinfo’.  Use the UTF-8 character encoding as usual.
> You must
> process the files with XeTeX.
>
>    For example, you would run ‘PDFTEX=xetex texi2pdf MY-INPUT-
> FILE.TEXI’
> to use XeTeX to produce PDF output.  You may have to install
> XeTeX (or
> LuaTeX), the ‘zhspacing’ package, and/or font packages.
>
>    Neither Japanese nor Chinese is supported with the standard
> TeX (or
> pdfTeX) program, as it cannot support the fonts and thousands of
> glyphs
> needed for these languages.
>
>    The Texinfo distribution comes with a couple of sample files
> that you
> can use to test support for these languages: ‘short-sample-
> ja.texi’ for
> Japanese, and ‘short-sample-zh.texi’ for Chinese.
>
>    For more information on these extensions to TeX, see the
> XeTeX home
> page (https://tug.org/xetex/) and the LuaTeX website
> (https://www.luatex.org/).

This is a follow-up for my last email.

I didn't get your method working with the tex file short-sample-
zh.texi.

The working method is by installing auctex(a emacs package) and
use Texing options - Xetex engine, then use C-c C-a to compile.

After that, it complains me about Metric TFM files not found, and
there are some cross-references and TOC not found.

I'm actually working on the Emacs Manual(see attached files), and
by removing @cite, the whole Preface section is now working, but
the rest of the book can't be printed even with converting dvi to
pdf.

Thanks.

--
Ralph Lin <ralphlin24@hotmail.com>