Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 17:30:53 +0000

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 10:04:11PM +0100, Arsen Arsenović wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
> [my apologies - I did not use a wide reply, so I am reposting this.
>  sorry for the inconvenience]
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Before making this change, please look at the manuals posted on the
> > GNU Software pages, and see if any of them really needs this.
>
> Note that this change request originated from inside the project.
> Tobias Burnus asked about it in the context of GCC.  I imagine any
> Texinfo manual (broader than just GNU.org/s/) would benefit (or at least
> not lose anything) also.  I'm not sure I see a downside.

Agreed, I'm not sure why it would differ from one manual to another.

> > Changing such long-standing behavior just because it looks like
> > "redundant" is not the best idea IME, but if no manuals and no
> > browsers use this, maybe it's not as painful as I fear it could be.
>
> Note that this behavior has been here since GNU Texinfo 6.4, and is
> generally good.  I am only proposing altering the 'Top' node (usually,
> index.html).

As you point out, the page title changed in that version of Texinfo,
as before it was like "Using the GNU Compiler Collection - Top" with
the manual name first.  NEWS entry:

  . for HTML output, place section names before the manual in page
    titles, instead of after them, so it is easier to distinguish pages
    if titles are truncated

Nobody complained about this breaking any stability.