hurdextras-hackers

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 23:46:21 -0700

Hi Thomas,

> And it's working wonderfully!
> :-)

Great.  I am glad to hear it is helping you out.

> Could we also get that setup for address@hidden

Yes.  I have set this up and the spam filtering is now active there.
Hopefully the noise through the mailing list will be greatly reduced.

Is hurdextras-hackers an open list where people would normally post
from non-subscribed addresses?  Most gnu.org lists are but not being
familiar with the list I wanted to ask what the expectation was here.

> address@hidden is also spammed with junk, but for that
> list it'd be enough to allow only posts from the CVS logger.  How is
> that to be done?

I cleaned out the junk from hurdextras-commit hold queue.  There was
quite a bit going back for a while.  And even with all of the spam in
the hold queue I can see from the archive that there was still a lot
going out through the lists.

I don't have the recipe immediately available for configuring a CVS
log archive so this may take some tinkering with mailman to get the
right configuration in place.  There are only six members total on
that list.  I would set it so that all mail from all addresses but the
cvs logger would be automatically discarded.  Because it is not a
discussion list and all discussion is redirected to hurdextras-hackers
I think that is appropriate.

But it looks to me like changes are coming from subscribers and not
from the cvs logger.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/hurdextras-commit/2005-12/msg00045.html

But the web interface does not show me the actual mail headers so I
can't really be sure and would guess that it is from the user and
resent-from the cvs logger.  I have subscribed so I should see the
full headers from one of the next messages and will be able to make a
better configuration with that information.

Until we can verify the cvs logger mail headers I set it up the same
way as the hurdextras-hackers list.  It is somewhat less efficient.
But not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

If anyone would like further information please don't hesitate to send
me questions.

Bob