hurdextras-hackers

Re: adding jfs to hurdextras

From: Manuel Menal
Subject: Re: adding jfs to hurdextras
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:12:53 +0200

Sajith T S wrote:
Manuel Menal wrote:

Yes, of course I would not remove a valid copyright line. The jfs translator code was partly taken from the GPL'ed, IBM-copyrighted
JFS implementation for Linux. So I'll leave the (c) IBM. But I
think Sajith and John put the Copyright (c) FSF line without signed
papers, so that'd be merely correcting the line to match reality.
Do you think it's OK?

Alfred is right, much of the code was taken from existing translators
 as well as IBM code.  The translators we referred of course belonged
 to FSF, so obviously we had to keep the copyright notice lines.
Going through it once again, I am doubtful if I can even correctly
recall what came from where :-/

Oh, okay. Then, I'd add this as a header :

/*
  *   Copyright (c) 2002 Sajith T. S. <address@hidden>
* and John Thomas <address@hidden>
  *   Parts of this code was taken from the GNU Hurd, which is:
  *   Copyright (c) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Plus, for dir.c:

  *   Large parts of this code come from jfsutils, which is:
  *   Copyright (c) 2000-2002 International Business Machines Corp.

Is that OK for you ?

We have not signed FSF's copyright assignment papers.  If any of this
calls for signing them, I am willing to do so. I am sure John also would not mind this arrangement. Or if we should add our own
copyright lines to, say, keep things simple, that is fine too.

There's no need to, and signing papers takes quite a long time, so we'll
just add your copyright, if that's OK.

Thanks a lot!

--
Manuel Menal