hurdextras-hackers

Re: Thomas Schwinge to stop any work on the Hurd

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Thomas Schwinge to stop any work on the Hurd
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:40:30 -0400

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 08:49:21PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> [All lists removed]

Re-added.  This is a public discussion.  There is no need to hide from
the public audience.  At least for me there isn't.

> You are once again causing me grief and wasting me and other peoples
> time with not being able to listen.

Where exactly did I show ``not being able to listen''?  I happily listen
if the to-be-listened-to is worth it.

> It is amazing how somehow would start this kind of a flame for
> something utterly stupid like list moderation

Actually it's you who started this.  I don't really want to discuss this
any longer and probably nobody wants to read it anymore, but then, I also
don't want to let this misrepresentation uncommented.

I posted my offer to take the mailing list administration over from the
deedless list maintainer or HurdExtras.  Nobody objected.  Since none of
the project administrators had explicitely posted his `ok' on that very
discussion thread I again explicitely asked James, Manuel and you,
following up to my own mail.  James and Manuel quickly oked this (again).
The first comment I ever got to hear from your side was the following
(from the ##hurd IRC channel):
  <ams> tschwinge: Your offer of poison is not accepted for hurdextras.
... which led me to ask you...
  <tschwinge> Would you please follow up to my email then?
... and which then continued like this
  <ams> No.
  <tschwinge> Why not?
  <ams> Any communication with you will be kept to an absolute minimum.
  <tschwinge> You're the only one that objects to me doing that job, so
              you'll have to state that in the appropriate forum, which is
              following up to the email where I stated my offer.
  <ams> I do not need to state squat.
Then you finally sent a follow up where you objected, giving the
following justification: ``I have already spoken to Barry deFrasse to do
it.''  While I have absolutely no objection against Barry deFreese doing
that job, stating just his name is not a technical argument, which I
asked you to give.

> be happy that you don't have to do it.

Why should I be happy about that?  I explicitely offered to do it.  Of
course I'm not sad that others are doing it now, but that's an important
difference.

> So stop it, go back to your corner

I don't think you are in the position to tell people what they should do.

> and write some code since I do not have the time for these childish
> games and you now have more time to spend hacking since you don't have
> to moderate yet another list.

It seems to me that you fail to understand that ``writing some code'' is
not everything.  There also is a community.  The Hurd community in this
case.  We want to rely on each other.  We strive to help each other.  We
sometimes meet in person and drink some beer together.  We laugh about
each other and even tease each other.  And we--for sure--also get ``some
code'' written.  You failed and again and again fail to be part of this
community.  And no, it's not the community's fault.  Drastic words, yes.

> As for your silly accusations, threats, absurd requests, and what not,
> I will simply ignore those.

That is your right to do, but that doesn't make you more credible in any
way.  And I beg to differ that my accusations should be ``silly'' and my
requests ``absurd''.

 Thomas

P.S.

You use some free software.  The other day you notice some bug in it.
After some weeks it still isn't gone, even though you upgraded to a new
version.  If it's annoying enough, you get to work on fixing this bug.
You'll eventually succeed.

You put on your favourite shoes.  The other day you notice that you seem
to have a tiny, sharp pebble in your left shoe.  After some days it still
isn't gone.  What are you going to do?

Question: how does this apply here?

P.P.S.  Sorry to those who don't want to read all this.  But some issues
should be worked on, after having them ignored for years.  That's at
least my opinion.  You can't ignore the dirty truth forever.  Everybody
who tries to do that will fail one day or the other.