hydra-users

Re: [MPFR] Continuous builds of GMP, MPFR, and MPC

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [MPFR] Continuous builds of GMP, MPFR, and MPC
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 00:03:37 +0200

Hi Marc,

Marc Glisse <address@hidden> writes:

> we had a look at the build script, and it seems that you are patching
> gmp by renaming configfsf.guess to config.guess, overwriting the gmp
> file. Why do you do that?

That’s left over from a previous experiment, and I just removed it, but...

> The only reason I could think of is that you want to build a binary
> that can be used on older machines.

Yes, that was the point of this, ahem, “mindless tinkering”.  Luckily,
the x86_64-linux-gnu machines behind hydra.nixos.org are all identical,
so it’s safe to use GMP’s original config.guess.

> However, the best option for that is to configure GMP with
> --enable-fat. If you have some other reason not to use --enable-fat,
> we could discuss to try and find a better way.

I was unaware of this option but it does seem to be what I was looking
for, thanks.

While this is not strictly needed on hydra.nixos.org, would you prefer
--enable-fat builds?  I suppose it may cover more code and more parts of
the build system, which could be helpful.

Thanks,
Ludo’.