hydra-users

Re: Deb and RPM packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Deb and RPM packages
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:15:27 +0100

Hi Germán,

Germán Arias <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm a GNUstep developer. We are currently discussing about the
> possibility to have an automated system to build deb packages. Currently
> there is one host where we do this, but with limited resources.
> According with this:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html#Hydra
>
> is possible to use hydra to build this packages. Now, my question is:
> These packages are available to end users, in some kind of repository,
> or is just to test the build?.

The default/preferred mode of operation with Hydra is to build things
with Nix or Guix.  The result is an installed package with a prefix like
/nix/store/...-my-package-1.0.

Alternately, with Nix and Nixpkgs, it can be used to spawn a QEMU VM
that runs, say, Debian, and to build a .deb or similar in that VM.  The
resulting .deb is then available for download via a page such as
<http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/libunistring/debian50_x86_64/latest>.

The recipe in Nix language for the one above is at:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hydra-recipes.git/tree/libunistring/release.nix

HTH,
Ludo’.