ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Ifile

From: Jonadab the Unsightly One
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] Ifile
Date: 19 Apr 2003 10:49:15 -0400

Preben Randhol <address@hidden> writes:

> This is a misconception which is widespread. For a user it doesn't
> matter if the system wasn't compromised when all his data and work is
> destroyed or tampered with.

Indeed.  If I accidentally delete /usr I might have to (gasp) boot my
distro CD and restore it.  Could take all of twenty minutes.  If
something happens to the contents of my home directory I'll be just a
wee bit more unhappy.  (Not that I'm deeply worried about ifile in
particular; this is just a general principle.)

The one type of app that I won't run as root is anything that listens
on a port for connections from the internet.  (e.g., sendmail).