iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: iiwusynth and CVS usage

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: iiwusynth and CVS usage
Date: 01 Feb 2002 11:07:02 -0700

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 17:50, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> > - Handling of notes seems strange, issuing a note-on WITHOUT a
> > corresponding note-off will cause a stuck note (expected behavior) but
> > issuing a note-on and note-off for the same note again will not turn it
> > off (unexpected behavior?).
>
> At first, my idea was that a note-off turns off all voices that are
> playing on the same key and channel. So stuck notes will also be muted.
> Then I got a mail from Werner Schweer, the MusE developer. He informed
> me that a note-off only mutes the oldest note. It allows for overlapping
> notes. So that's what I did. If it doesn't work correctly, then that's a
> bug :(

Umm, no it works as expected if you want overlapping notes. I've just
never seen that before. That isn't the behaviour SB AWE/Live gives. I
wonder where Werner Schweer got that information from? How would you
know which note to turn off when a noteoff is received, doesn't seem to
make sense to me. Ohh well, time to impliment a notesoff command then
(I'll do it :)

> Cheers
> Peter
>

> PS: I have my nose in DSP theory to verify the filter!

Right on. I wish I understood better the Filter Q description in the
sfspec. I know it is talking about the frequency response graph of the
filter, but I don't understand "DC gain" and "gain at DC". I can
understand what FilterQ does, but not the specifics of the response
graph description. I noticed you mentioned something about not
understanding the FilterQ parameter specifics in the iiwusynth source
code. Does this need to be clarified to ensure proper filter response?
Anyways. Not really important for me to understand, but probably
important for you :) Lates..
   Josh Green