iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Some wished improvements for better interoperabili

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Some wished improvements for better interoperability
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:10:54 +0200

Hi Juan,

That's a good idea. Actually, I was thinking about that when Steve
Harris showed me more of Ardour and SpiralSynthModular some two months ago. It would be re ally nice to output the instruments
separately so you can mix them on the fly in Ardour or another
JACK client, add LADSPA effects etc...

I don't think it's hard to do but my free time has been very very
limited lately so I'm currently not making any progress on iiwusynth.
I hope that'll change though. It's definitely on my todo list.

BTW that was pretty interesting, the discussion you brought up on
linux-audio-dev about storing/restoring inter-application connections,
application states and other (meta-)data in a project. That would be
a great step forwards.

Best,
Peter

Juan Linietsky wrote:
Hello!
I'm still in debt for some optimizations to the mixcore, as soon as i
have enough free time again i'll give it a try!

Well, I just wanted to comment.. some thoughts.
Yesterday I felt like doing some music, so i fired up ShakeTracker,
LegaSynth and iiwuSynth.
I dont have a soundcard with multiopen, and needed low latency, so
JACK was the way to go.
Also both apps were controlled via alsa sequencer. It's great that
such modularity exists in linux!
Everything works fine, but even when i was using a few channels, the
cpu load was quite intense.
With a little research, I realized it was both programs chorus+reverb
processing, so i thought..
Why not using the same chorus/reverb for both? I thought, it could be
easy for me to modify legasynth
to export the chorus and reverb send buffers to JACK, and i think it
should be easy for you iiwu guys
to do the same. That way the programs could be hooked up to ecasound
or some other program
supporting effects processing with JACK, LADSPA,etc... so we can, not
only use chorus and reverb but also
a lot of other cool effects.  I think it would be great to export also
individual midi channels (1/16)
to JACK, so certain instruments can be sent to other specific effect
processors.

Well.. just some thoughts on how can we easily improve our software
with what we already have!
Btw, legasynth, if you havent heard of it, is a high quality/speed old
soundchip/synth emulator,
which you can find at: http://reduz.com.ar/legasynth.

Juan Linietsky