iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FYI: Iiwusynth live

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FYI: Iiwusynth live
Date: 05 Aug 2002 15:33:21 -0600

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 04:12, M. Nentwig wrote:
> Hei,
>
> Iiwusynth made its (probably) first appearance live on stage, on a
> wedding party yesterday.
> The audio interface caused some trouble, it needed higher buffer
> settings than usual to get rid of sporadic dropouts. Probably the high
> temperature caused that. Otherwise, Iiwusynth served me fine as
> 'acoustic piano' played on the organ keyboard, with sustain pedal and
> all.
>
> Cheers
>
> Markus

Totally cool. I like to hear about real world use of Linux music
software. I've been thinking a lot about my current implementation of
the iiwusynth SoundFont api in Swami. Its far from perfect and could use
quite a bit of optimization (less use of malloc, loading of all
SoundFont samples into mem locked area, etc). As things stand now, using
iiwusynth through Swami doesn't really make that much sense for real
work (beyond just editing a SoundFont). I'd like to change this in the
near future.
I think I mentioned this already, but libInstPatch is going entirely
GObject and will be multi-thread friendly. It will also be ready for
adding support for other formats such as DLS, as soon as I get my hands
on the spec (thanks to Peter Hanappe :) I'm really happy about this new
API. Its better to get things right the first time instead of having to
overhaul it again in the future, when much more depends on it. Cheers!
        Josh Green