info-gne

[Info-gne]mailing lists and stuff

From: Zefram
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:41:31 +0000 (GMT)

What's the proper purpose of this list?  For an "info-" list, we're
getting remarkably little information about the project here.  It'd be
nice to get decisions made on bug-gne (such as the name change) announced
here, if indeed they ever manage to decide anything between all those
interminable silly debates that I see in the archive.  Hector?

Anyway, back to using the list for article-writing-related discussion,
which job it is filling admirably, even if confusingly named for the
purpose.  I've written an article catalog, classified by the Dewey Decimal
system.  It's at <URL:http://www.fysh.org/~zefram/gnupedia/catalog_ddc/>.
I've done this for a number of reasons:

1. A complete article catalog seems useful, and I'm not aware of any
   others published so far.

2. To establish by experimentation appropriate database organisations for
   catalog generation.  (I'll shortly publish the database and catalog
   generation code, for others to play with.)

3. As a starting point for experimentation with catalog styles, so that
   we'll know how to make useful catalogs before we start to really
   need them.

4. To aid others in making catalogs with some editorial content, without
   having to go through the process of compiling the actual article
   list first, and without having to wait for the eventual great article
   database to emerge from bug-gne.

5. To act as a checklist for which articles have been translated into
   which languages.  (We're a remarkably evenly bilingual operation
   so far.)

-zefram