info-gne

[Info-gne]new Project Announcement needed

From: Dave Hein
Subject: [Info-gne]new Project Announcement needed
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:42:03 -0600

Hector,

I'm really confused.  I suspect the cause of my confusion
is part of the reason traffic on this list dropped
dramatically when the list names were changed and the FSF
declared Nupedia to be the GNU free encyclopedia project.

I'd really appreciate a considered response to these
points, and I suspect that the rest of the folks on the
list would also be very interested.  So I thank you for
your time, in anticipation of your response.

Point 1
=======
In the last couple days, in e-mails on both bug-gne and
info-gne, you've stated that "we're making big decisions on
the future of GNE, so in the meantime you can help the
Nupedia project".

I've assumed that by "we" you meant yourself and Richard
Stallman and perhaps other FSF staff.  But later e-mails
suggest that may not be what you meant.  So, could you
clarify:  in your statement, who did you mean by "we"?

Point 2
=======
Also, I've assumed that by "big decisions" you meant
whether to kill GNE and just support Nupedia, or to have a
second FSF-supported encyclopedia, or to just continue with
the free encyclopedia project without overt support from
the FSF.  But I suspect that assumption is also wrong.  So,
could you clarify: in your statement, what are the "big
decisions" to which you refer?  (A list of the decisions to
be made would be helpful.)

Point 3
=======
Finally, if GNE is to continue as a project on which a
large group of people across the world can focus, then a
coherent statement of the project's vision, goals, and
method of operation is necessary.  The original project
announcement at http://www.gnu.org/encyclopedia/index.html
has, in effect, been made to apply to Nupedia and not to
GNE.

What we probably also need is a description of the existing
open or free encyclopedia and library projects we know
about, why GNE is different from the others, and why GNE is
needed even though the other projects exist.

======

Again, I look forward to your response.

--
"Dave Hein" <address@hidden>

  Breathing in, I know I am breathing in.
  Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.