info-gnustep

GNUstep Weekly Update

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: GNUstep Weekly Update
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:02:12 -0600

See http://www.gnustep.org
Week ending 15 April 2001

I just commited some changes to the libraries. Frederic De Jaeger
submitted a wonderful patch to allow the GUI backends to be compiled as
a bundle, so you can switch between backends with a simple default.
Because of this there really is no need for the backend component of
LIBRARY_COMBO, so I removed it. Now LIBRARY_COMBO by default is just:

gnu-gnu-gnu

You can switch between backends using a user default 'GSBackend'. By
default it uses libgnustep-xgps, but to swtich to the dps backend do:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-xdps

Try it out. It's really cool (perhaps it will be easier for people to
improve the DPS backend now?...).

gnustep-make

Default library-combo changed to gnu-gnu-gnu. Also fixes to get FreeBSD
working again.

gnustep-base (Foundation)

A few changes to make it easier to compile on Darwin. Still not there yet
though. Added some important DO and NSString bug fixes (memory leaks, etc).

gnustep-gui (AppKit)

Changes to allow backend to be loaded as a bundle.