info-gnustep

[Fwd: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 23-11-2001]

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: [Fwd: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 23-11-2001]
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:27:17 -0700

   A new weekly editorial is available at [1]http://www.gnustep.net

Editorial 23 November 2001

   First something from the previous editorial. I wrote it in a hurry, so
   I forgot to mention the place where you can find the IRC servers:
   irc.openprojects.net and join #gnustep

  The mailing-lists

   Wow, it went hecktic this week. Haven't seen that much e-mail on the
   mailinglist for some time. So let's start off with the major ones:

   First of all the big mail threat of the Objective-c++ compiler
   donation by Apple Computer Inc. went on. There were a lot of responses
   from all over the world, with comments, suggestions additions to
   Objective-C, and bits and pieces of code flying around. Which supplied
   me eventually with some links on Blocks which you can find in the
   documenation section.

   Then there was that one question that normally ends up in a flame war:
   What GNU/Linux distribution is best to try GNUstep on...
   But it didn't no flame war, no heated arguments, just a couple of
   comments and ofcourse BSD was thrown in as another option.
   The most interresting part of this mail, was the question which
   database to use as a backend for GDL (The GNUstep EOF clone). I guess
   the last answer was: If you want opensource go for PostgreSQL and if
   you can afford a buck use FrontBase. If you can afford a lot of bucks
   you might even think about Oracle.

   Enrico wants to solve the problems with GWorkspace on Mac OS X, and he
   needs a Macintosh for that. Lars Helldorf offered to help him out. One
   very beautiful example of cooperation in the GNUstep world.

   Another porting effort was discussed, that from NeXTSTEP 3.3 to
   GNUstep. All agreed that the way to go was through OPENSTEP 4.2

   Then last but not least Gregory Casamento added the gopen tool, a
   clone of the NeXT open tool, to the code repository.

  Code changes

   Nicola Pero rewrote source-distribution.make and added the features to
   create cvs snapshots, and package them.

   As mentioned before Gregory John Casamento added gopen.m to the Tools
   section.

   Adam Fedor updated the Font caching methods.

   Fred Kiefer added Mac OS X compatibility to NSTableView and, added and
   implemented some methods for the handling of richt text to
   NSTextField.

   Willem Rein Oudshoorn fixed some memory overruns in the xgps backend.
   And changed some more by replacing floats by integers in the XG...
   files.

  Applications

   Laurent Julliard added a lot of new icons and inspectors to GORM, time
   for a new checkout of the sources!

   Dennis Leeuw