info-gnustep

GNUMail and Pantomime maintenance release

From: Germán Arias
Subject: GNUMail and Pantomime maintenance release
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:54:49 -0600

This is a maintenance release to solve some problems I had with this great app. There are some minor changes in GNUMail (like a dot at AppIcon when GNUMail is hidden),
but there are two important major changes.
These are:

* With some SMTP servers, Pantomime don't work as expected. The SMTP
connection died before get the supported transports mechanism. This crash GNUMail. In other cases the SMTP don't get the supported transports mechanism at first chance (or even at second chance). So you need click several times at corresponding button to get these. This is confusing for the user. Since I don't understand Pantomime and I don't know anything about mail protocols, I added
a hack to prevent this (Maybe an ugly hack).

* In "Compose" window I removed the option to select the SMTP host to send the email. For me this can cause errors. For example my "xelalug.org" mail account uses GMAIL technology, so it's uses smtp.gmail.com. My Gmail account uses, of course, smtp.gmail.com also. This is sincronized automatically for GNUMail. But GNUMail don't handle consistently the information of an account. So If I don't put attention I can send an email from "xelalug.org" using the SMTP information of my Gmail account. At the end I receive an email in my Gmail account that is sent from my Gmail account, not from "xelalug.org". On the other hand I don't see the
utility of this option.

You can found it at Wiki page:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUMail.app

And Pantomime (This only have a change in one header to compile):

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Pantomime

If you face problems, let me know. I will try to solve them.

--Sent using GNUMail :)