info-gnustep

Re: Re: One problem for gcc compile object-c on windows 7

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Re: One problem for gcc compile object-c on windows 7
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 12:08:15 +0100

On 3 Sep 2014, at 03:27, address@hidden wrote:

>> -----Original E-mail-----
>> From: "Richard Frith-Macdonald" <address@hidden>
>> Sent Time: 2014-9-2 19:49:38
>> To: address@hidden
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Subject: Re: One problem for gcc compile object-c on windows 7
>>
>> On 2 Sep 2014, at 06:56, address@hidden wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am a newbie for object-c, I am study object-c on windows 7, as I found
>>> http://www.gnustep.org/experience/Windows.html is very useful for me, so I
>>> setup the environment as it said: install MinGW and GNUstep Core, then I
>>> can use gcc to compile the first object-c program which do not include any
>>> foundation header files, like <Foundation/NSObject.h>.
>>>
>>> But the problem is that I can not write any code actually, as gcc can not
>>> find all of foundation header files.
>>> If my code include <Foundation/NSObject.h>, gcc will pop out error like:
>>> fatal error, Foundation/Foundation.h: No such file or directory
>>> compilation terminated.
>>>
>>> Does any body can help me for this problem? Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> BTW, I have installed Cygwin before install MinGW and GNUstep Core, does it
>>> conflict with MinGW?
>>
>> How are you building your code?  You need to use gnustep-make to do that.
>> See http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/WritingMakefiles/ for a tutorial
>> on how to get started.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I was using gcc directly to compile my program:

While you *can* do that, it's not to be recommended.
When you use gnustep-make, the compiler arguments will all be supplied
correctly for you.
If you want to see exactly what gnustep-make does, you can use 'messages=yes'
argument to get it to print out the command line.
The other thing you can do is use gnustep-config to tell you what is needed ...
but you really ought to use gnustep-make.