info-gnustep

ANN: FTP 0.6

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: ANN: FTP 0.6
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 10:17:20 +0200

FTP 0.6

a couple of days ago I released FTP v. 0.6 and forgot to write the email announcement.

No apparent new functionality, but a larger rewrite of some core functions happened

- Thread communication is now mostly asynchronous and generally optimized. This allows for much higher speeds especially on slow computers (thanks to Richard for the major help there) - Thanks to the above, the application is more reliable for very large transfers (several GBytes)  also on Windows. Generally, the windows port works much better now
- improved localization
- improved (hopefully!) parsing of server responses and put in some heuristics for links
- internally optimized code for sorting (less resources usage)
- better portability of code (esp. for Windows and BSD)

I know the Windows port is of no real use, but it is a good technology demonstrator of GNUstep and the portability it can achieve. Resource optimization too, wasn't an issue, but I like to see good performances on e.g. a Raspberry PI or a vintage computer: it is simply good code!

Riccardo