info-gnustep

GNUstep Desktop

From: Ondrej Florian
Subject: GNUstep Desktop
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 00:38:21 +0000

Hi everyone,

I'd like to announce GNUstep Desktop.
https://onflapp.github.io/gs-desktop/index.html

I have been working on it for more than a year now and it is finally complete enough to be my main desktop environment.
It is perfect for my Raspberry PI! :-)

GSDE contains many GNUstep apps and frameworks in one place.
Enhanced, fixed, configured and integrated so that everything works together seamlessly.

Notable enhancements:
- StepTalk - used for system scripting, fixes and enhancements to the API - TextEdit - scriptable + enhancements for attachment and link panels - HelpViewer - uses filters to display man, info and gsdoc pages
- WrapperFactory - greatly enhanced, support for filters and services
- Terminal - a lot of improvements, refactored into Kit, scriptable - Preferences - taken from NEXTSPACE + additional settings for timezone, keys, themes
- WindowMaker    - make tweaks and fixes to fit with GNUstep

New applications:
- WebBrowser       - Google Chrome with GNUstep UI, scriptable
- VimGS - Vim with GNUstep UI (using TerminalKit), scriptable
- Player                  - VLC with GNUstep UI, scriptable
- DocViewer - PDF and HTML document viewer, filters for additional formats (e.g. markdown), scriptable
- ImageViewer      - filter for additional formats, scriptable
- RemoteView       - VNCViewer
- Librarian - document indexing - similar to NeXT's Digital Librarian
- ScreenShot        - screenshot service

Other apps:
Gorm and ProjectCenter, GWorkspace, GNUMail

Other utilities:
Dictionary, Affiche, FTP, TalkSoup, EdenMath, Addresses
ForManager, DefaultsManager, Console, HtopGS, OpenUp,
Process monitor, Volume and Battery controls.

...and more....

WebPage: https://onflapp.github.io/gs-desktop/index.html
github: https://github.com/onflapp/gs-desktop

---

Spending weeks and months deep in GNUstep and all those apps created with it,
made me really appreciate all the amazing work that went into it.

I hope that GNUstep Desktop will help to renew the interest in GNUstep as desktop.

Ondrej