info-mtools

[Info-mtools] Errors in man pages

From: Helge Kreutzmann
Subject: [Info-mtools] Errors in man pages
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 19:44:58 +0100

Dear mtools maintainer,
the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
man pages both from a large variety of sources (including mtools) as
well for a large variety of target languages.

During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
original (english) man pages. Sometimes this is a straightforward
typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a
convention not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the
original.

We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
the latest upstream version once in a while, so the error might be
already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
each and every issue.

Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
possible), but only an approximation which you need to convert into
your source format.

Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
them.

I'm now reporting the errors for your project. If future reports
should use another channel, please let me know.

Man page: mattrib.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020
"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mattrib.1
Issue: flags → tags

"mattrib - change MSDOS file attribute flags"

"\\&\\&CW<Mattrib> is used to change MS-DOS file attribute flags. It has the "
"following syntax:"

"\\&\\&CW<Mattrib> adds attribute flags to an MS-DOS file (with the `\\&CW<"
"+>' operator) or remove attribute flags (with the `\\&CW<->' operator)."
--
Man page: mattrib.1
Issue: mformat → \\&CW<mformat>

"Replay mode.  Outputs a series of mformat commands that will reproduce the "
"current situation, starting from a situation as left by untarring the MS-DOS "
"file system.  Commands are only output for attribute settings that differ "
"from the default (archive bit set for files, unset for directories).  This "
"option is intended to be used in addition to tar. The \\&CW<readonly> "
"attribute is not taken into account, as tar can set that one itself."
--
Man page: mbadblocks.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mcat.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mcd.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mclasserase.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mcopy.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mcopy.1
Issue: (\\(ifname → (see \\(ifname

"No confirmation when overwriting Unix files.  \\&CW<ASCII> doesn't warn the "
"user when overwriting an existing Unix file. If the target file already "
"exists, and the \\&CW<-n> option is not in effect, \\&CW<mcopy> asks whether "
"to overwrite the file or to rename the new file (\\(ifname clashes\\(is) for "
"details).  In order to switch off confirmation for DOS files, use \\&CW<-o>."
--
Man page: mdel.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mdeltree.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mdir.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mdu.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mformat.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: minfo.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mkmanifest.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mlabel.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mmd.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mmount.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mmove.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mmove.1
Issue: moves or renames → move or rename

"The \\&CW<mmove> command is used to moves or renames an existing MS-DOS file "
"or subdirectory."
--
Man page: mpartition.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mpartition.1
Issue: mpartition → B<mpartition>

"The starting offset of the partition, expressed in sectors. If begin is not "
"given, mpartition lets the partition begin at the start of the disk "
"(partition number 1), or immediately after the end of the previous partition."

"The size (length) of the partition, expressed in sectors.  If end is not "
"given, mpartition figures out the size from the number of sectors, heads and "
"cylinders.  If these are not given either, it gives the partition the "
"biggest possible size, considering disk size and start of the next partition."
--
Man page: mpartition.1
Issue 1: mpartition → \\&CW<mpartition>

"Usually, before writing back any changes to the partition, mpartition "
"performs certain consistency checks, such as checking for overlaps and "
"proper alignment of the partitions.  If any of these checks fails, the "
"partition table is not changes.  The \\&CW<-f> allows you to override these "
"safeguards."
--
Man page: mpartition.1
Issue: mpartition → \\&CW<mpartition>

"If the verbosity flag is given twice, mpartition will print out a hexdump of "
"the partition table when reading it from and writing it to the device."
--
Man page: mpartition.1
Issue: within the 65536 sector → within 65536 sectors

"For all others, if the partition fits entirely within the 65536 sector of "
"the disk, assign 0x01 (``\\&CW<DOS FAT12, CHS>'') for FAT12 partition and "
"0x04 (``\\&CW<DOS FAT16, CHS>'') for FAT16 partitions"
--
Man page: mrd.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mren.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"
--
Man page: mren.1
Issue: There's no difference between the current directory and the directory

"If the first syntax is used (only one source file), and if the target name "
"doesn't contain any slashes or colons, the file (or subdirectory)  is "
"renamed in the same directory, instead of being moved to the current \\&"
"\\&CW<mcd> directory as would be the case with \\&CW<mmove>. Unlike the MS-"
"DOS version of \\&CW<REN>, \\&CW<mren> can be used to rename directories."
--
Man page: mshortname.1
Issue: 22Mar20 → March 22, 2020

"22Mar20"