info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] Undefined libiconv symbols

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] Undefined libiconv symbols
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 23:35:40 +0100

Hi,

On 10/11/2020 15:19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
[...]
This really looks like a problem that autoconf/automake have not used
correct compile/link flags. As I said AM_ICONV should be used. Add it
into configure.in into "dnl Checks for libraries." section and re-run
all auto* tools.

I agree there should be a standard way to handle this but I am not an expert at modifying autotools
files. I tried adding "AM_ICONV" on a line by itself after the "dnl Checks for
libraries" comment, and then running autoreconf produces this error:

configure.in:87: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ICONV
      See the Autoconf documentation.

Check that you have installed gettext package. Part of it is aclocal's
iconv.m4 macro file which contains definition of AM_ICONV macro.

Yes, gettext and its iconv.m4 are installed.

I'm preparing to make a new release, and I'm getting the exact same error as well, despite gettext being installed here as well...

On Debian Buster, iconv.m4 from gettext lives in /usr/share/aclocal/iconv.m4

I also tested with removing the aclocal.m4 file from the mtools sources (which defines a check for sys_errlist), just in case it somehow interferes, but this doesn't fix it either :-(

... so I resolved to just testing for libiconv using the following snippet:

AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, iconv)

I've made a test release with this change (and also checking for xlocale.h, and an unrelated improvement in file locking), and placed this on http://alain.knaff.lu/mtools.tar.gz

Could you try out whether that compiles on your macintosh?

If not, maybe AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, _libiconv) is needed instead?

Thanks,

Alain