info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] Inconsistent results between kernel vfat and mtools

From: Pali Rohár
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] Inconsistent results between kernel vfat and mtools
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:25:15 +0100

On Tuesday 21 November 2023 14:08:30 G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Also I'm kinda puzzled why some of the file extensions are shown in lower
> case.

Hello, for FAT directory entry since LFN extension was introduced, there
is one byte (called NT byte) used for some flags and one bit in this
byte is interpreted as name is lowercase and other bit in this byte as
extension is lowercase. So you can have uppercase name with lowercase
extension without need to fill additional FAT LFN entry for that file.

So my guess is that specific bit is set and mdir interpreted it. This
can happen also for FAT filesystem which are pre-LFN and this bit was
used for something different (application or system specific).