info-sather

Re: anyone home?

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: anyone home?
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 08:35:08 +0200

Hey you two, and any others out there!

yes, there are people using Sather, and at least one of them (me) is
still following the newsgroup - although I haven't had time to start
threads lately.

The mlist is mirrored to the newsgroup (if you can read this on
comp.lang.sather, that means the link is working at the moment)
Other way around is broken, though - posting to the list and
reading the newsgroup therefore is the only way to get everything :-(

This list is for newbies as well as for developers - we are happy about
anyone interested in Sather at all :-)

For a start, take a look at http://www.gnu.org/software/sather - there
you should find a good tutorial as well as much other information.

Unfortunately, the whole project looks like a mess to the outside at
the moment: We are still in the middle of a complete redesign of the
library. The new code is still too buggy for beginners to use -
although it is quite worth to look at once you have an idea about
Sather in general.

The old code, though was a mess to begin with (that's part of the
reason for the redesign) It does work, but nobody really took much care
about cleaning it. Especially the compiler is deadly buggy, but the
code is horror to debug...

Anyhow: the code works well at least the first steps, and once you have
done those, you are likely to stay hooked... :-)

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!