info-sather

Re: Future of Sather... (was Re: STR::repeat(n))

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Future of Sather... (was Re: STR::repeat(n))
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 07:34:58 +0200

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 02:58:19AM +0000, Jean-Pierre Dussault wrote:
> To me, Sather is the BEST compromise language. Its actual implementation is
> not
> very far to be the worst!

You are absolutely right at this point. I guess, about everyone using or
developing GNU-Sather would put his name under this sentence.

Since state of the internal structure of the compiler is actually even worse
than it's outside appearance (yes that is possible!) the only way to get out of
that dilemma is to write a completely new compiler from scratch. First design
work
has already been done on that, but for the moment, highest priority lies to get
the required library stable. Anyhow, help with the work on the compiler will be
appreciated very much as soon as a number of most urgent questions will be
resolved. (See my other message...)

Unfortunately, it will take quite a while until that new compiler is up for
production work. I know it will not be an easy time to wait for it, but there's
little one can do about it. (Except, of course, volunteer for working on it to
speed up development. Just stay tuned for details on that...)

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!