jpkg-devel

Re: [Jpkg-devel] FreeBSD package flaws

From: Jean-Philippe Boisseau
Subject: Re: [Jpkg-devel] FreeBSD package flaws
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 22:55:12 +0200

Le  Tuesday  06  August  2002,  Nicolas  Souchu  coucha  sur  le  papier
électronique :

> Joint, the FreeBSD thread about package system.
>
> We have to discuss about some issues regarding the easiness of
> jpkg usage. I was thinking about it recently and thought it should be
> as simple for the package maker as for the package administrator (end
> user).

Right. That's  why I  chose and  XML  Profile System,  "à la"  Automated
LinuxFromScratch. You describe in simple XML text files the archives and
the  patches  you  need,  the  scripts  to  build  everything,  and  the
dependencies. I attached the  current DTD and a sample file  to give you
all an idea.

> We should handle with special care the installation of multiple
> version of packages since its not always possible to remove previously
> installed ones as Debian dpkg thinks...

I thought quite a lot about  this since the beginning. But I don't think
I already had a good idea! :(

> Also, the package management shall be centralised and include some
> configuration management operations (CVS, other) to take care about
> user configurable scripts.

In the  same way  profiles describes  the way to  install, i'd  like XML
files to describe what is installed.

> I think a database is needed to describe package dependancies.

Why not? An  XML database  at first,  and why not  an SQL  Database that
would not exclude XML use?

> jpkg shall also be designed to accept easy writing of OS installation
> procedures/application with it.

Basically,  i'd   like  JPKG  to   allow  a  full  Linux   From  Scratch
installation... If so, it would probably support your requirements... :)

Cheers!

--
Jean-Philippe Boisseau
"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit." (Terence)