js-extensions-discussion

Re: Enhancements and fixes for js-encumbered websites

From: W. Kosior
Subject: Re: Enhancements and fixes for js-encumbered websites
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 15:54:17 +0200

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 15:54:07 -0500
Colby Russell <colby@colbyrussell.com> wrote:

> On 7/2/21 2:23 PM, W. Kosior wrote:
>  > Anyway, my thought was that at some point (just not now yet) we
>  > will start distributing this extension prebuilt and then the
>  > availability of the build process will not be a problem.
>
> It will remain a problem for people attempting to actually exercise
> their freedoms (by e.g. modifying it, in contrast to those who
> consider the matter settled when the software is merely nominally
> free, i.e. available under a free license).
>
>  > Do you think assuming POSIX in just the build system, after we
>  > start distributing prebuilt versions, will still have the
>  > potential to hamper the adoption?
>
> Viewed from the perspective that adoption for the software in question
> is probably a function of quality, and quality is a function of
> whether or not the contribution process is accessible to as many of
> the developers capable of imbuing the project with quality as
> possible, then yes, I think so.
>
> Most free software projects suffer from a form of tunnel vision or
> oversight when it comes to matters of the accessibility of their build
> systems.  The last 35 years of the free software movement have
> furnished ample evidence that we need to be concerned with not just
> whether software is nominally free, but to push further still and
> work towards making sure that actual *practical software freedom*
> (Fredrickson, Gerwitz, et al) is an option for those who desire it.
> A good overview of this topic is available here:
>
> <https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25458080>
>
> In general, though, path dependencies are something to be avoided
> where possible.  For Hachette in particular, by its nature we can
> count on there being a browser involved at some point, so the POSIX
> dependency can be easily avoided.  So why not avoid it?

Ok, discussion can be considered moved to:
https://hachettebugs.koszko.org/boards/1/topics/1

What Jahoti already posted there is more or less what I would respond
if I was to keep arguing (although sometimes it's perhaps better to
stop and accept someone else's idea, so as not to waste resources on
useless wars).

Wojtek

--
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html