js-shield

0.18 released

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: 0.18 released
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:25:28 +0200

Hello,

0.18 is out:

* Migrate to non-persistent background pages as a first step towards Manifest
v3.

Should be available in the stores soon.

I also added a blog post on the release https://jshelter.org/first-mv3-step/.

Giorgio, please, have a look at the blog post and add anything you see fit.
Michael, please, wait a couple of days if Giorgio has something more to say
about this release and then report the blog post to NLNet.

We have been working on migration to Manifest v3 (MV3) for some time and today we
are shipping a JShelter version 0.18 that implements non-persistent replacement for
background pages which is a first step towards MV3. Michael, write to your channels
something like "JShelter has repeatable tests and we run additional testing,
especially under circumstances like this change. Everything should run the same as
it used to work in 0.17. However, please be cautious and report back any odd
behavior that you encounter with 0.18 and later versions. Please let us know in the
[issue tracker](https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issues) or send us
[e-mail](mailto:jshelter@gnu.org).

Regarding user count: In Firefox, we lost like a hundred users compared to the
same month last year. Since November we gained a few users. From Chrome Store
we are steadily gaining users and have like 200 more users compared to last
year.

Best wishes,

Libor