js-shield

Chrome Mv3 timeline update

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Chrome Mv3 timeline update
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 11:58:06 +0200

Hello,

I noticed a small warning icon next to the JShelter item in Google Web Store
which warns that MV2 extensions will soon not be supported. There is a link
that leads to
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/develop/migrate/what-is-mv3.

Notice, that the page says that MV2 Consumer Deprecation starts in June. But
the meaning is not explained at that page.

Atter some clicking I got to
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/develop/migrate/mv2-deprecation-timeline.
 The most important info:

* In June 2024, Google will start disabling Manifest V2 extensions in
pre-stable versions of Chrome (Dev, Canary, and Beta).
* It looks like Chrome 127 will be affected. That means that on Jul 23, Mv3
extension should be unavailable in stable Chromium/Chrome browsers
(https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/schedule).
* Even if I am wrong and this will only affect Chrome/Chromium 128, that means
stable release at Aug 20th.

Given the approaching holidays season and the badge icon deadline in June. I
think we should think about releasing a broken MV3 version of JShetler soon.
Maybe we can limit the version to a subset of functionality, maybe we can say
that we do not guarantee that page scripts are applied. Or that Fingerprint
detector works or what ever. But it looks like if we do not release a broken
version, we will lose users anyway.

Looking at the NLNet project, we planed to rewrite with minimal viable porting
in mind. Now we are there.

Best wishes

Libor