koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: Koha Work

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: Koha Work
Date: Wed Apr 17 05:13:49 2002

Nicholas Rosasco wrote:

Paul --

You've been fairly active on the Koha list, and I'm doing a kind of survey
as Chris and I are getting concerned about the problems that have popped up
in re releasing a next version.

What features do you consider highest priority for Koha?

From a FUNCTIONALITY point of vue :
MARC, MARC, and MARC.
and, also, MARC ;-)
I consider very important thesaurus too. It's, IMHO something really missing and that causes errors in datas that user enter.

From a technical point of vue :
I think what should be decided soon is what tool we should use to separate presentation code and perl code. We spoke a little about perl template module, then we spoke about XML-XSLT. I think MARC is a HUGE thing. So, we can't decide to use XML-XSLT immediatly. That would be 2 BIG projects at the same time, and we have not enough strength. Should we decide to use perl-template for a moment ? Maybe. It's easier to use, and I know how they work. It's not the case for XML-XSLT...

What features are you currently working on?

None.
In a week or 2, I'll be back on koha. I will work on MARC compliance, and on thesaurus. If we decide to wait for XML-XSLT AFTER the MARC release, I will translate koha in french with the tool presently working...

How extensive are they?  What is your target for getting them done?

I want the MARC version ready to install in french for september.

What background (if any) do you have with the library specific (MARC,
Z39.50) items currently under consideration?

Don't understand the question...

The draft version short term plan is for a real/soon/now release, which will
become the "stable" and be turned over to a couple, with a new version being
"opened" as the devel in CVS -- this will start with the stuff Katipo is
working on for a number of clients, become a stable(probably 1.2.0), then
the MARC changes will start to go in with 1.3.0.  Any comments, suggestions?

I agree for a really short term stable version. The current one is really out of date. I can give a help if you want for the sample DB (in May, I repeat again) what will be on the katipo stuff ? Is it necessary to build a 1.2 AND a 1.3 version ? I thought the MARC import/export was well advanced, and we could assume a progressive translation from the non-MARC DB/soft to the MARC DB/soft ?

The way documenting -- both support, and code -- is handled is due for an
overhaul as well -- any thoughts?

Not sure to understand well this sentence...

Sorry if this sounds like an inquisition, but Chris and I are trying to get
a handle on the who/what/where, etc.

No, what I think is that we must be more aware about who/what/where... So, I'm happy to answer ;-) Last thing, it should be important for me to have a uptodate view of who is really working on koha. And who is who too. I'm quite new on this project, so I don't understand everybody history and experience. (who is from katipo, who is not, who already use koha in a library,...)

Thanks

De rien (in french :-) )
--
Paul