koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Project Management

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Project Management
Date: Thu Apr 25 06:13:02 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Nicholas Rosasco wrote:

> In the interests of getting everyone on the same page.... as I will, with
> Chris's blessing, attempt to bring order from (minor) chaos.
>
> For the sake of clarity and forward progress:
> In the wiki... (which is truly one of the best collab. doc. tools I've
> seen):
>
> So at least I know where to look
> Major features and notes about how to implement them live on the
> http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=KohaFeatureRequests page.
> Who is actually writing a feature them lives in the RoadMap
>  (http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=KohaRoadmap).
>   Also -- As you write it, please document what you are doing in the code,
> as well.

If it's possible, please put documentation into POD format.  (Minor stuff
and development notes don't need to be in POD.)  It would be very nice to
be able to dump man pages, html, and the like.

> Which version a new feature appears in goes into the RoadMap.
> When a bug is fixed, a note about it goes into the Roadmap.
> Try to keep a running note in the roadmap as to where you are with stuff --
> nothing complex, on the order of "need to fix a few more things, then I'm
> done".
> When a version is released (ie, ceases to be listed as DEVEL), that versions
> chunk of the Roadmap becomes the Changelog.

This may be a personal thing (and if so, please just tell me to shut up
about it), but these kinds of notes (and the ChangeLog on the wiki) really
belong in a NEWS file.  NEWS files are for non-developers and show what
things have cchanged, been added, or been between released.  Often the
show every point release back to the current minor version, every minor
version back to the major version, and every major version.

The ChangeLog is a developers tool and explains every commit to the
repository.  If something stops working, this is the place to go look for
answers.

> Things needed answers (from
> Chris, in particular) should probably go in the ToDo list.  I'd suggest you
> put recent questions on top.  You might also email them to Chris with a
> header like 'Koha Need Answer' in the subject line at the same time.

This is an excellent idea.

> If you have a brilliant feature idea... put it in FeatureRequest and I
> [Nick] will try to be sure that that it moves into the RoadMap list in some
> sort of semilogical fashion -- we're all trying to get too many things in at
> once.  'Nick Place This' in the subj. line of an email to me
> (address@hidden) might be a good idea to make sure I see it.

Nick, will you manage the wiki -> sourceforge migration of Feature
Requests as the become more solid?  Should we start thinking about a
process?

> I suggest we all try to hold to this way of tracking things so that we don't
> step on each other, and to use CVS as much as logically possible so everyone
> can see where the code is.
>
> If you have a "personal version" of Koha please either upload with a label
> as to what it is, or (maybe better) send it to Chris and have him look at
> it -- I count 2 to 4 derivative or personal versions out there.

This makes sense, please also let everyone know that you've created a
branch, what tag you've given it, and a bit f background on what you're
doing with it.

thanks,
-pate