koha-devel

[Koha-devel] about MARC format

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] about MARC format
Date: Mon Sep 9 03:06:02 2002

This mail is primarily for Steve and continues an IRC conversation we had on friday, but I think it could interest other koha developers and readers of this ml.

The problem :
We have 2 problems with MARC-DB structure :
The 1st, which is solved, was that repeatable tags we not rightly stored in our structure : thus, it was hard to differenciate lines. The problem will be solved by adding a "tag number" field in the DB. Should be cvsed soon... The 2nd, which is still to solve, is multiple-items support. We plan to support many MARC (MARC21, UNIMARC...) by having a parameter table. But the BIG problem is that koha "items" are managed completly differently in MARC21 and in UNIMARC. In fact, in true-UNIMARC they are not supported... In france, they are supported by a "almost-official" document, the "995 tag", which defines the 995 tag as the koha-item field. So, when there are more than 1 item of a given biblio, how to manage them in MARC-DB. Quite impossible with actual DB structure.

I've had a simple idea during the we, which, I'm almost sure, is the best one : In our MARC sructure, we have a old-DB-"biblio" field that links the old DB and the MARC one. We should add a "koha-item" field in the DB that links a old-DB item and a "MARC-item". In the MARC-API, we should add a MARCadditem, MARCmoditem and MARCdelitem sub.

I'll try this very soon, unless someone (steve ?) points me an error.
--
Paul