koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] we've got a winner :-) => IMPORTANT

From: Andrew Arensburger
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] we've got a winner :-) => IMPORTANT
Date: Thu Oct 3 19:09:02 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:18:27AM +1000, Roger Buck wrote:
> We run three independent Kohas on a single web server. This requires
> three separate copies of koha.conf (hardwired in Output.pm).

        I'm currently fixing things to use the C4::Context module; by
default, it reads the configuration from /etc/koha.conf, but you can
override this with the $KOHA_CONF environment variable.
        Here's the VirtualHost block that I'm using:

<VirtualHost 192.168.132.83>
    ServerName koha2.ooblick.com
    DocumentRoot /folks/koha/internal-unstable/htdocs
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ /folks/koha/internal-unstable/cgi-bin/

    AddHandler server-parsed .html
    SetEnv PERL5LIB /folks/koha/internal-unstable/perl
    SetEnv KOHA_CONF /folks/koha/internal-unstable/koha.conf
</VirtualHost>

> /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/koha
>                           ./C4

        This is the main bit that I (slightly) disagree on: C4
contains Perl modules that will be used by everything that uses Koha,
not just by the web server.
        As I understand it, the web interface is the only one being
really worked on, but if and when the other ones (e.g., standalone
text- or GUI-based tool) are brought up to date, they'll need to use
the C4 Perl modules as well.
        On top of that, any maintenance cron jobs (e.g., to
recalculate fines and send out notices) will need to use those as
well.
        So IMHO this ought to be installed like a normal Perl package,
wherever Perl thinks it belongs.

        Of course, I can also see the advantages of keeping everything
in one place, so perhaps if you tell the installer that you'll only be
using the web interface on this machine, it'll put the C4 directory
where you suggest.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
address@hidden                      views of ooblick.com