koha-devel

[Koha-devel] hard coded stuff?

From: Benedykt
Subject: [Koha-devel] hard coded stuff?
Date: Mon Oct 27 02:22:12 2003

Hi all,
I am wondering whether this is good or not but in the directory of the includes there appeared a css file with hard coded path of
.koha {
            text-align:center;
            background-image:url("/intranet-tmpl/default/en/images/background-mem.gif");
            }

Now if the whole idea by introducing templates was to separate the code from the design then this behavior does not stick to the rules. A person who tries to maintain a given translation needs to visually inspect every aspect of code in order not to overlook those kind of changes.

An example: a file in .default/en directory changes. The modification includes a language string and a path to a perl file ON THE SAME LINE OF CODE. Not all diff software packages will show both but rather the whole line will be highlighted as having been modified. For a translator that means visual inspection of the code. Translators are NOT programmers. They may overlook a lot of such little modifications.

I have voiced this over and over again that there is something wrong about the way koha chose to internationalize.

Before koha-1.2.3 all the language strings where in the perl scripts. Now they are found in the template files. I wonder whether there exists a method of still going back to a flavor of GETTEXT to take care of translations?

Benedict