koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] rel_2_0 CVS branch

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] rel_2_0 CVS branch
Date: Tue Dec 23 19:09:01 2003

On 2003-12-17 17:01:33 +0000 Pat Eyler <address@hidden> wrote:

6 month wait for our end users to get new features is an awfully long
time.

I think we've been frozen for some months now, so it'll be longer for real end users (not source builders) even if they are allowed in 2.0.

In the 1.2 tree, we made the decision that small, safe features
could be added into the stable tree without hurting things (much) and
without making people wait for 2.0.0. I still tend toward this feeling,
but am open to hearing reasons why it's sub-optimal.

Basically, we cannot expect it to stabilise while introducing new instabilities into the code. See http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321 for a grumble about this sort of thing about a larger software project. I'd let a new feature in if it corrects a fatal flaw, but I don't think letting simple enhancements in helps encourage the new release to come out on time. It also adds to the volume of fixes that need porting to head. I'd be happier with developers keeping 2.0 patches outside the main tree if they want a testbed/demo and trying to get them into the 2.2 tree.

I like this idea, and it's about what I was shooting for.  Perhaps we
should follow the gcc model.

I'm not sure we have the people yet for a full copy of this, with all the forward porting involved. I'd leave HEAD open until it's time to feature freeze.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden