koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha 2.0.0 release date

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha 2.0.0 release date
Date: Thu Feb 26 08:43:04 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, paul POULAIN wrote:

> Hi dev,
>
> The next release will be called "2.0.0", without anything after.
> "Why" may you ask ? For at least 2 reasons :
> * The 2.0.0RCx is used in at least 10 libraries around the world.
> * Here in France, ppl speak of Koha 2.0.0 as "it will provide full MARC
> support", "it will do...", "it will be...". This future has to be
> removed : "Koha 2.0.0RCx provide MARC support".

I think that this is an excellent plan.  Koha 2.0 certainly seems stable
enough for the libraries who are using it, and we've reached the point
where we're hurting ourselves more by delaying the release than by
releasing with known (minor) bugs.

> So, i'll call the next release 2.0.0
> The date ? When polish & chinese translations are ready.

What about the state of Docs?  We *have* to have docs that (at a minimum)
don't give incorrect information.  If we're not happy with the docs for
2.0.0, then we probably need to strip them out and get them done for
2.0.1.

> I also plan to change a little my release notes. The "bug fixed" will
> have only bugs fixed. The "improvement" will include a warning.
> I wrote release_notes_200.txt. It's something like this :
> /BUGS FIXED:
> major :
> * #662 : missed prepare(?) in supplier.pl
> * french only : fixed total cost calculation bug in order line (due to
> translation error)
> * #436 : circulation.pl partially templated
> * #606 : ***** PORT FROM HEAD BEFORE RELEASE
> * #679 : OPAC doesn't allow linking of subject headings
>
> minor :
> * isbnsearch now shows correctly the total number of books in DB
> * value_builder textarea dropped to 5 lines instead of 10
> * 20 values in authorised_value admin screen instead of only 5
> * opac, css template : inputs now in light blue, to see them better.
> Added 5px bottom margin & fixed a bug in IE
> * fixed bad management of ' in supplier title
> * request link not shown if item is notforloan
> * branchcode field max size set to 4 in editor , as in the DB (was 3)
> * #719 : input box too short for Library name in syspreferences
>

> IMPROVEMENTS :
> FEATURES HERE ARE CONSIDERED AS "NEW". They seem to work, but are for
> the 1st time in a public release.
> * printing the biblio is now possible from the item screen
> * POLISH translation
> * CHINESE translation/

These look good for part of a News file, but the release notes should
describe the differences between 1.2.3 and 2.0.0, not 2.0.0 and 2.0.0RCX.
We can use the release notes and announcements to really point out the
huge improvements made over the last 20 months.

-pate