koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Possible to create/import separate records for multiple ite

From: Bruffey, Mark
Subject: [Koha-devel] Possible to create/import separate records for multiple items with same ISBN?
Date: Mon Aug 9 14:53:01 2004

I am ready to batch import our MARC21 records (35,000) into KOHA for serious testing of KOHA.

I believe the proper way to batch import MARC records into KOHA is through the breeding farm.

As I read the indicators for import into breeding farm, it appears that items with same ISBN will be deleted/ignored. However, we have already decided to create a MARC record for each item, in our current automation/cataloging system, as this provides certain advantages unavailable when multiple copies of the same item are cataloged together in the same record.

I don't want to go into explaining all the benefits of keeping a single record for each item at this time, but I do feel those benefits are great enough to justify maintaining the collection that way. Is it possible to do this in KOHA?

Thanks,

Mark

PS Obviously, I could use any import/export help available, and I will diligently read any documentation on this operation, should any be pointed out to me.

L. Mark Bruffey
Director Library Services
Central Baptist Theological Seminary
900 Forestview Lane N