koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] about classification and callnumber (for "tungst

From: Rich Baldwin
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] about classification and callnumber (for "tungsten")
Date: Mon Dec 6 09:51:14 2004

Paul,

Just the kind of information I'm looking for. All of our Dewey numbers are showing up as 0.000000 after a book/item is added to the biblio. We have obtained Marc21 records from the Library of Congress and are adding them to the breeder table and then building biblio. Are there step by step instructions for adding an itemcallnumber. I won't be able to test this until later and I want to make sure I get it right the first time. FYI We are running version 2.0.1.

Many thanks, Rich

Paul POULAIN wrote:

Hello all, hi tungsten,

I've read your irc question. Something has to be explained...

Callnumber explains where the item is located physically
Classification helps finding books on a topic/subject.

In most libraries, the callnumber is a classification (books are ordered by Dewey, or by LC...)
But in some, the callnumber has nothing to do with the classification.
So, in Koha, callnumber and classification are different things :
* the callnumber is attached to ITEMS.
* the classification is attached to BIBLIO.

a systempref parameters tells Koha to define automatically callnumber from a biblio field : itemcallnumber. I realize I've forgotten it in installer... I fix this immediatly. You can add it manually in your systempreferences, just add a "itemcallnumber" entry, with a value of FieldSubfield (676a -dewey in UNIMARC-, 680a -Loc in UNIMARC, or any other bibio field/subfield)

NOTE : this works for manually added biblios only.
For biblios migrated with bulkmarcimport, you must copy the callnumber yourself (in bulkmarcimport.pl)

Is it clear ?