koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

From: Russel Garlick
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Foundation
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:54:25 +1200

MJ Ray wrote:

If we want a minimum-change host foundation, I still suggest
we ask to become a project of Software in the Public Interest,
http://www.spi-inc.org/ - other projects there include PostgreSQL,
Debian, Fresco, GNUstep and OFTC. Gnome and OSI were projects
until they set up their own foundations, so we could spin off
later if there's need/desire to do so.

Comments?

Has anyone had any experience in this environment? Certainly worth looking into. Can you do both?

But from what I have seen on their site, SPI sounds like a philanthropic organisation - ie they provide funding and hardware. All nice to have, but there are some other goals that we at Katipo are interested in that may not be addressed.

<snip from rachel's email>

... The core one though is to make Koha more palatable and understandable to bigger public libraries in particular...

They understand that a not for profit organisation would give away software but I think are somewhat distrustful of private companies doing so. It would fit their "world view" better or something.

...to reassure libraries that Koha is a real going concern...

I see setting up a foundation as a tool for selling an idea to libraries, and possibly as a way to ensure the ongoing shared governance of the project - which is what clients want I believe

</snip>

How would becoming an SPI project help here? Does anyone know? Or is that a question for SPI?

Cheers

--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager